Thursday, February 6, 2014

Some debate about the Common Core

I recently got talked into appearing on a local Sunday morning TV show called “Ethical Perspectives on the News,” which was hosting a discussion of the Common Core standards. The other guests on the show were Cedar Rapids School Superintendent Dave Benson and Tania Johnson, a Cedar Rapids kindergarten teacher who was named Iowa’s 2013 Teacher of the Year. Benson and Johnson are both supportive of Iowa’s version of the Common Core, and I think the station asked me to join the group to get another view and also for the sake of including a parent on the panel. I don’t know how well I did in that role, and we could barely scrape the surface of the topic in the half hour that we had, but I enjoyed myself more than I expected to (maybe too much!). The show was hosted by Kirkwood Community College Philosophy Professor Scott Samuelson, known here for his music blog. In case you’re interested, the show runs this Sunday, February 9, at 11 a.m. on KCRG (local channel 9).

I hope to post a few more thoughts about the Common Core in the meantime.
.

1 comment:

Sara Barron said...

Fun! Sounds like a good one to tune in for.