Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Blog news: Comments are here!

When I started this blog almost a year ago, I had no idea what to expect. I decided not to enable comments, because, as I wrote in the “Comment Policy” link:

People, including me, can naturally get pretty worked up about anything that affects their kids. But this is a small town, and when the argument’s over, we all have to keep living with each other. I’ve done enough web-surfing to be leery of opening up this blog to unlimited anonymous comments. I want to make sure that the focus stays on ideas, and not on personalities. So, at least for now, I’m going to take comments only through email.

There was another reason, too: I barely have time to write the posts (as you may have noticed recently), so I wasn’t sure where I’d find time to read and respond to comments.

This is still a small community, and I’m still worked up about some of the things that are going on in the schools here, and I still don’t have as much time as I’d like to devote to the blog. In fact, every couple of weeks or so, I decide to stop blogging altogether (but then I start again). But, though I have occasionally gotten great email responses from readers, the comment-by-email system has proved just too clunky and cumbersome. One of the whole reasons I started the blog was that I felt there were no effective ways for parents to engage with each other publicly about our kids’ schools -- that too often those discussions either were managed by the school authorities, on the one hand, or just disappeared into the ether, on the other. Without a working comment system, that purpose is defeated.

So, with some trepidation, I’ve decided to enable comments, at least going forward. Chime in if you’d like, and we’ll see what happens . . .
.

No comments: