Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Welcome, new readers

The hit counter is getting an unexpected workout today after Alfie Kohn tweeted a link to ABlogAboutSchool. Welcome, visitors; I hope you’ll find something of interest here.

I started this blog because I am concerned about school practices that treat my kids like objects to be manipulated, or data points, or means to someone else’s end, rather than as full-fledged human beings. I’m also concerned that, in their drive to raise short-term test scores, our schools have become more effective at inculcating authoritarian values than at helping kids become thinking, capable citizens of a democracy.

I don’t think of this blog as either liberal or conservative, though “anti-authoritarian” and “small-d democratic” would be fair labels. If the site has one overarching theme, it’s that today’s schools would benefit from an infusion of democratic principles and an increase in democratic accountability, and that the absence of those qualities goes a long way toward explaining why schools are increasingly authoritarian and inhumane.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the site. Some representative posts are here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.
.

No comments: